The Determinants of Health – Habits that promote health and longevity
- Most research tells us that the average person needs 8+ hours of sleep each day.
- The biochemical clock sets the sleep cycle in motion around 9:30-10:00pm.
- Most of us ignore this! Oops! The signal is that first relaxed yawn.
- The longer one waits to sleep after this first signal, the more sleep quality is reduced.
- Lot’s of other things make it hard to sleep well, of course, including hormonal change, stress, etc.
Acupuncture has been used in China for thousands of years to regulate our body’s system, and has become an increasingly popular treatment modality for pregnancy-related conditions. Acupuncture can support pregnant woman during each trimester and it associated symptoms.
Since some acupuncture points or combination of points should not be used during pregnancy, it is important to choose a practitioner experienced in prenatal acupuncture. Regular balancing treatments throughout pregnancy can enhance the mother’s and baby’s health.
Benefits of good quality, adequate sleep
The cost of long-term sleep deprivation
Some sleep aids: light mental activity before bed, relaxing herbs and essential oil, Calcium/Magnesium beverage, 5-Hydroxy Tryptophan, L-theanine, GABA, melatonin-ER, bio-active milk peptides…
Exercise does almost all the same things good sleep does! Our bodies are amazing! Exercise will:
- Increase cellular energy by making each cell’s energy-making machinery more efficient and active.
- Increase the number of muscle-to-nerve cell intersections (receptors)
- Increase sleep quality, normalize sleep chemistry
- Improve mood, happiness
- Increase secretion of endorphin hormones, improving immunity and mood, reducing inflammation and pain, etc.
- Reduces cortisol and adrenalin outputs, reduces their levels in the blood for about 6 hours
- Reduce blood pressure and heart rate, helping the heart and vessels last longer
- Increase oxygen delivery to tissue
- Induce sweating, and this improves excretion of all toxins and poisons – including lead, mercury, insecticides, fossil fuel chemicals, etc. – in sweat
Relaxed, whole-chest breathing will, even if only done for a few minutes several times each day:
- Increase oxygen delivery to all tissue, including lining of blood vessels
- Cause vasodilation, increasing blood delivery to all tissue, including brain
- Reduce inflammation, beginning in the blood vessel walls, because research says
- Better blood flow leads to less inflammation
- Reduce blood pressure
- Alkalinize the blood, instantly reducing adrenalin secretion and anxiety
Brings about most of these same benefits!
Happiness has many roots and consequences:
- Meaningful work
- Family time
- Group involvement – family, neighborhood, school, work, community, etc
- Being valued, respected
- Loving others
- Communication and connection
- Involvement, making a difference