What is TMJ?
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is located on either side of your head at the top of the jaw just in front of the ear. It is the joint that connects your jaw to your skull and as such gets used a lot.
The term TMJ can be used to describe the joint itself as well as any conditions relating to wear and tear or strain on the joint.
How do you know if you are having issues with your TMJ?
If you experience any of the below symptoms, you may need to see a professional to get your jaw examined:
- Clicking of the jaw when it opens and closes
- Pain in and around the jaw, that can extend to the ear, face, temple and neck
- Grinding or popping of the jaw
- Inability to fully open the jaw
What are possible causes of TMJ?
- Grinding of the teeth
- Misaligned bite
- Jaw injuries
- Deterioration of cartilage in the joint
What are treatment options for TMJ?
A consult is always given first to review your medical history to examine your bite. Once the main cause of the TMJ is discovered, an appropriate treatment plan can be given that includes but is not limited to the any of the following:
- Bite correction
- Restoration of the vertical dimensionGrinding or popping of the jaw
- Injection therapy
What are the benefits of getting TMJ treatments?
- Pain relief of both the jaw pain and referred pain caused by the tension resulting from muscles over-compensating for the TMJ.
- Prevention, by treating the cause early, you prevent further damage to your joint, jaw, and neck as well as your teeth.