My 5 top Natural Treatments for Insomnia
1. Magnesium: Magnesium calms your nervous system, induces relaxation, reduces blood pressure, decreases PMS tension, increases energy in the day, and treats constipation and muscle cramps.
Dosage: 200 to 800 mg at night. I like one package of Magneliveurs before bed.
2. Withania (Ashwaganda): This herb enhances mental and physical performance, and decreases stress and fatigue. Ashwaganda is a general tonic that can be used for stressful situations, especially for insomnia, restlessness or overwork. It’s also a great choice if you suffer from a sluggish thyroid.
Dosage: 15 ml/ day of the liquid tincture (5 before bed), or 4-6 Mediherb capsules/ day.
3. GABA: GABA is a calming neurotransmitter (brain communication molecule) that may be helpful for those with anxiety, muscle tension, or pain. People with anxiety often have low levels of GABA and/ or serotonin.. Many prescribed anxiety medications, such as Valium, target GABA receptors to induce relaxation.
Dosage: 500 to 1,000 mg before bed.
4. 5 HTP: A derivative of tryptophan — the chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy — is a precursor to relaxing serotonin and melatonin. 5-HTP has been found to be effective in treating sleep loss related to depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, and mild-to-moderate depression. 5-HTP appears to increase REM sleep and decrease the time required to fall asleep, as well as the number of awakenings.
Dosage: 100- 400 mg a day, divided doses through the day and before bed.
5. Valerian and Chamomile: This combination of herbs is hypnotic
(induces sleep), reduces muscle spasms, is anti inflammatory and reduces the effects of stress on the body and the digestive system.
Dosage: 5 ml of the tincture (or 2 medicherb capsules) at dinner and at bed.